Friday, February 11, 2011

Let's Read 2011- The Happiness Project

I am thrilled to be reading along with Jessica in her Booking It 2011 book club. Her first pick for this year was the very popular, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun


First of all, I must say that I was extremely impressed with Gretchen's research on the topic of happiness. Her incorporation of many sources was cited throughout. And she did not discriminate in her selection of reading material. Anything reputable relating was used. Remarkably, writers who lived decades and centuries apart had many of the same feelings and thoughts on the topic.

Her book was set up as a year of resolutions. Each month had a goal along with specific items she wished to accomplish within that area. I have to say that she did a phenomenal job working through these month to month. One that felt of importance to me at the time was remembering friends birthdays. This past Monday a childhood friend of mine celebrated her birthday, so I decided to send a nice greeting (something that I had neglected to do for a while).

I loved Gretchen's honesty and candor in relating her experiences and thoughts of those around her. Although criticized as selfish by many, she pushed on to find out that being happy is not selfish, but necessary.

I am highly encouraged to pursue my own happiness project. Gretchen's book has inspired me to find my own happiness and create resolutions that are personal to me.

Have you read Gretchen's book? She has a The Happiness Project blog. Be sure to visit her there.

Please join us next month as we read Mansfield Park

Linked to: Finer Things Friday

Sign up for free daily e-mails from simply things family to stay up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...